What is Tamanu Oil?
Tamanu oil is a rich, greenish-amber colored oil with an earthy walnut like scent derived by cold pressing the dried seeds of the Calophyllum inophyllum (“Ati”) tree. Our Tamanu oil is sourced from the “sacred” isle of Raiatea in the Society Islands and bottled in Tahiti. Our Tamanu oil has a high resin concentration characteristic of Tamanu oil from French Polynesia, and is all natural 100% virgin oil with no additives or preservatives of any kind.
What is Tamanu Oil used for?
Tamanu oil is used in French Polynesia to stimulate production of new skin tissue, reduce sun burns, reduce insect bites, nourish the skin, reduce muscle and joint pain, and for its anti-aging and anti-inflammatory properties. 1
Tamanu oil has been recorded by the international nomenclature of cosmetic ingredients.2 It is included in different cosmetic formulations as an active ingredient such as for skin regeneration, after sun protection, soothing and irritation calming, and wrinkle and stretch mark protection.3
What does scientific research
say about Tamanu oil?
Peer reviewed scientific research on Tamanu oil has identified the following:
In 2002 Dweck et. al. found Tamanu oil to reduce size of and improve appearance of scars.4
Wound healing in skin cells
In 2016 Ansel, et. al. found Tamanu oil promotes wound healing in keratinocyte cells (HaCaT) and also in fibroblast cells (HMDF).7
Cell proliferation, GAG, & collagen production
In 2016 Ansel, et. al. also found the skin affect of “tamanu oil emulsion” was investigated on human skin cell cultures (keratinocytes and fibroblasts) showing: cell proliferation, glycosaminoglycan and collagen production.7
Antibacterial and wound healing properties against acne
In 2015 Léguillier T, et al. found Tamanu oil to exhibit high antibacterial and wound-healing activity against bacterial strains involved in acne.8
Nut allergy warning
Tamanu oil is pressed from the nut of Calophyllum Inophyllum tree, therefore, people with a tree nut allergy should avoid it’s use.11
Where to buy?
Please visit LA Spa Esthetique to purchase Tamanu Oil:
11950 San Vicente Boulevard, Suite 110
Brentwood, CA 90049
to order call or email:
You can also fill out the form to order our Tamanu Oil or ask questions.
- N A. Le Tamanu (Calophyllum inophyllum L.) en Polynésie Française et autre espèces
du genre Calophyllum: De l’usage en médecine traditionnelle à l’émergence d’un médicament anti-VIH. Thèse de doctorat en pharmacie, Université de Bordeaux Ségalen 2013;no 2013BOR2PO19:12.
- K H. Tout savoir sur les vertus Thérapeutiques, Santé, Beauté, Longévité des Fruits exotiques. Lausanne. Favre SA 2011:1-141.
- Dweck AC, Meadows T. Tamanu (Calophyllum inophyllum) – the African, Asian, Polynesian and Pacific Panacea. Int J Cosmet Sci 2002;24:341-8.
- Said T, Dutot M, Martin C, et al. Cytoprotective effect against UV-induced DNA damage and oxidative stress: role of new biological UV filter. Eur J Pharm Sci 2007;30:203-10.
- Raharivelomanana P AJ-L, Lupo E, Mijouin L, Guillot S, Butaud J-F, Ho R, Lecellier G, Pichon C. . Tamanu oil and skin active properties: from traditional to modern cosmetic uses. OCL 2018;25:D504.
- Ansel JL, Lupo E, Mijouin L, et al. Biological Activity of Polynesian Calophyllum inophyllum Oil Extract on Human Skin Cells. Planta Med 2016;82:961-6.
- Léguillier T, Lecsö-Bornet M, Lémus C, et al. The Wound Healing and Antibacterial Activity of Five Ethnomedical Calophyllum inophyllum Oils: An Alternative Therapeutic Strategy to Treat Infected Wounds. PloS one 2015;10:e0138602.
- P P. Plantes utiles de Polynésie et Raau Tahiti, éd. revue et augmentée. Papeete: Haere Po No Tahiti 1986:224-5.
- Pocidalo JJ, Chaslot M. [Action of oil of Calophyllum on experimental burns]. C R Seances Soc Biol Fil 1955;149:357-9.
- Le Coz CJ. Allergic contact dermatitis from tamanu oil (Calophyllum inophyllum, Calophyllum tacamahaca). Contact Dermatitis 2004;51:216-7.